Saturday, September 22, 2012

Miter Saw in the Bathroom?

Background:  When I was in middle school and high school, I participated in a club called Science Olympiad.  There were multiple events (bottle rockets, build a tower out of balsa wood, know everything about fossils, etc.) that tested students on their ability to build structures that met certain specifications and/or knowledge of a subject.  I was super involved and received numerous medals at both the regional and state levels.  So it was a pretty big part of my life, but I've been out of high school for a while now, and don't usually think about SciOly.


Last night, I was in a team meeting- coaches, parents, other team members.  During the meeting it was decided that the girls (myself, Aline, I think Sheree, and I think the other person was Sydney) were going to go use the miter saw to work on the bottle rocket, and that my dad would help us.  So the five of us walked down the hall to the bathroom (similar layout to my current apartment, but with an obviously larger bathroom) where the miter saw was kept.

Flash forward to Michael Kelso from That 70's Show showing up as the kid who will be participating in the bottle rocket event at competition.  He's just as Kelso-esqe as he is on the show.  But now it's just me and him and I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to teach him what he needs to know about the event.  Apparently there is some weird aviator hat with built in goggles that we have to wear, but it's got a zipper around the brim and I can't figure it out, and then it's too small for my head.  While I'm trying to figure it out, Kelso wanders off.

As I'm trying to get the hat on my head, there's some alert siren going off and the bottle rocket people (which now apparently includes me, although I don't think I was signed up for it to start with) have to report to this hovercraft thing that kind of looks like what they had in Sky Captain (near the end when the scientists are escaping), so I run up to it and jump on.  There are already four other people on it, laying down with their hands on their head, all under a sheet (guess I'm late).  One of them is Kelso, and my mom is driving the hovercraft.  There's some lady with really curly hair (maybe River from Dr. Who?) stationed at the hovercraft next to ours and she has somehow figured out those stupid goggle things with the zipper.

Then our hovercraft zipped off, Kelso made some stupid comment, and I don't know what happened next.

No comments:

Post a Comment